Yes, you can remove the need for any print servers as the Printix Cloud Print Management Service handles all the data required.
However, in some cases running the Printix Client software on at least one computer that is always on, may be recommendable. Let us look at the details:
Printix Client facilitate communication between the Printix Cloud and your printers
- When there is no Printix Client running on the network with your printers, our web interface, Printix Administrator, will not be able to show the latest status of these printers.
Printix Client can facilitate printing between networks and via the cloud
- When there is no Printix Client running on the network with your printers, users will not be able to print and release documents to those printers. Obviously if the user's computer is connected on the same network as the printer, then printing works, as the Printix Client on the user's computer will also be running.
- If you have users and printers on two separate networks, then you can have a computer with two network adapters (LAN and WiFi) connected simultaneously, one for each network, thus have Printix Client on that computer transfer the print data to the printers.
- If you want users to be able to print, to printers on the company network, while they are at home or travelling, then you should also ensure that there is at least one online computer with Printix Client on the network with the printers.
Printix Client facilitate Active Directory authentication
- If you are using Active Directory authentication, a computer with Printix Client must be online on the network, otherwise the on premise Active Directory server can not be contacted for authentication. This is not a requirement if you use Azure/Office 365 authentication or another of the supported cloud-based Identity Providers.
In the above situations, the computer that is on at all times, is not required to run a Windows Server OS.
Here is why we say Printix is serverless
- Our Cloud Print Management Service handles all the data required for your serverless print infrastructure. You do not have to add and maintain additional on premise servers and databases.
- You can remove print servers.
- If you decide to have Printix Client running on one or more computers at all times, these computers are not required to run a Windows Server OS.